Quick Shots Of My 120

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Earlier this year(Mid Feb) I switched tanks from a 65gal long to a 120gal tall.

Just thought I'd share some shots of what it looked like shortly after the move to today.

Feb 22/2014

09/01/2014

Not the greatest pics, but you can see that my man made structures don't look so "man made" anymore.

Growth is starting to take off after battling with higher nitrates for the first three to four months of the switch.

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
How much of the rockwork was artificial? It is looking quite natural now. Nicely done.
The whole left side is a foam reef wall. There's a L shaped pillar running top to bottom on the very back right side of the tank to house power heads. A cave structure under the front right side that supports the cave and some rocks along the front right side too.

I was worried at first if the rocks would blend in over time or not. I have to say that I'm quite impressed with the way things are growing in. Especially the coraline algae. It's hiding a lot.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
looks great and would take a traimed eye to notice whats real lol glad you battled through the move from the smaller i did the same thing and was alot of work but well worth it

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
hehehe glad to hear im not the only one staring at my sps wishing it grew as fast as my zoa's :) as for that lovely wall did you make it or buy it.... i used to use styrofoam and portland in my lizard tank for some cool custom features allways thaught about doing a reef with it as well

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Looking very nice! Do you have powerheads in the caves to help blow detritus out of them and prevent dead spots? I'm not quite picturing the powerhead layout from your description earlier. Does it blow underneath it all and out of the caves?
It is all starting to look very natural and I love the way you have it going up the sides of the tank. Gives more depth to it all.

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
hehehe glad to hear im not the only one staring at my sps wishing it grew as fast as my zoa's :) as for that lovely wall did you make it or buy it.... i used to use styrofoam and portland in my lizard tank for some cool custom features allways thaught about doing a reef with it as well

The reef wall I made along with the rocks and structures.

I went with foam because curing such a large piece of portland cement wasn't an option for me. It was tough enough to find a large enough container to cure the other cement rocks and structures I made

I used egg crate to make a three sided box. Left side, back side and bottom. Then used pond spray foam by Laguna and also embedded rocks in the foam. Then once cured. I used marine fiberglass to cover the foam and used crushed coral for texture. Then once all dried. I used aquarium safe silicone to attach it to the bottom of the tank. The only down side. With this much foam, that wall floats like crazy. I couldn't even weigh it down with three large rocks! Making the reef wall is much easier than it sounds.

Looking very nice! Do you have powerheads in the caves to help blow detritus out of them and prevent dead spots? I'm not quite picturing the powerhead layout from your description earlier. Does it blow underneath it all and out of the caves?
It is all starting to look very natural and I love the way you have it going up the sides of the tank. Gives more depth to it all.

Thanks. Most people now aren't fond of the high packed rock work. But I really like it. You're right. It adds so much depth to the tank.

I have a mp40 on the left side of the tank on reef crest mode and I also have two korillia power heads on the right side behind the corner structure. Seems to be keeping the detritus moving.

When the new maxspect ripe tide goes on sale. I might consider replacing my mp40 with one.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
So I took the plunge and added my flame bta to my DT.

Some of you know, I've had a bad taste in my mouth from previous anemones wandering and killing corals.

I've always wanted a bta in my DT. But have always had the worry.

Figured I'd give it a shot as I'll be home from now till monday when I work. So I can keep a close eye on it. Also I made a bit of a cove for him and if he moves from that spot, he'll get blasted by my MP40 or my return line. So I hope he stays put.

Fingers crossed. Wish me luck

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1411865409063.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1411865409063.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 105