WP vs MP

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
I ordered one after Christmas with the free shipping deal from Fishstreet.  $80 total delivered to my door with an extra sensor, free shipping, no duty etc. and despite all the good reviews, build quality and performance exceeds expectations so far.

I know the new model is out now but the free shipping seems to be still on and I may just need another at that price.

jonn46

I have been running two 25s for almost a year now and I have never had a glitch. I think they are awesome deal at the 75 bucks or whatever it was I paid for them.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Fish-street.com Facebook page update.

"Want to Link with your Jebao pump ? Come out our Jebao Twins Controller ~ Only for Fish Street Store for first release!. Customer who have 2 Unit above Jebao Pump, we will send invite email on Monday on the new controller~ Loyal customer will have a discount for upgrade!"

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
jaebo skimmers.. looks like a good deal with the dc3000, if only they went one bigger with the dc6000 powered skimmer.

http://www.fish-street.com/coral_box_dc_curve_skimmer_d700?category_id=1

TorontoBound

I can see that the price point of the WP will make it more appealing to anyone in the hobby but the fact is that the pump has not CSA or UL listing. It catches fires you are SOL with insurances. Also there maybe stray voltage in the tank that can cause or speed the process of Head & Lateral Line Erosion.

If you have $1000 upon $1000 of dollars invested would you skimp on a pump?

Right now I want to try a wp  pump to see if I can detect stray voltage but my goal is to save for a mp pump... You get what you pay for!

On an other note. MP pumps are great for tanks up to 4 feet... longer aquariums should go tunze in my opinion!

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Umm, sorry if this comes across short, but, have you read the thread at all TorontoBound? It has links and proof that it does meet Canadian standards across the board and is UL listed, you are not "SOL" with insurances. It is just a rumor that was started to slander Jebao and curve sales. Also, Jebao is a reputable great company that has been around for over a decade now. This is probably the only site that will stand up for them as we are not swayed by commercial pressure from vendors.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
TorontoBound link said:
Right now I want to try a wp  pump to see if I can detect stray voltage but my goal is to save for a mp pump... You get what you pay for!

no need, i just stuck a multi meter in my tank for you and its reading 0.00v, i have 2 wp-40 power heads and a DC-12000 Return pump.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
TorontoBound link said:
I can see that the price point of the WP will make it more appealing to anyone in the hobby but the fact is that the pump has not CSA or UL listing. It catches fires you are SOL with insurances. Also there maybe stray voltage in the tank that can cause or speed the process of Head & Lateral Line Erosion.

If you have $1000 upon $1000 of dollars invested would you skimp on a pump?

On an other note. MP pumps are great for tanks up to 4 feet... longer aquariums should go tunze in my opinion!
The power supply is approved for use in Ontario, that's all that is required as everything after it is 24 volts.

TorontoBound

I haven't read every single post in this thread.

I spoke with Wystan from Jebao directly back in the beginning of 2013 and was told that the transformer was UL listed but no the whole set.

Again it is great to hear that there is no stray voltage and I will most likely try one out for myself then as the price point is great.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
LoL, ya, sorry about my comment, it was a little short and to the point.

You are right, the transformer is UL listed and that is all that is UL listed. Almost everything in your house is not UL listed other then the power supplies. I am not to worried about the pumps catching fire, mainly because when things are under water, it is probably hard to catch on fire LoL. I do not use the stock controllers as I make the Apex harness. But I never had a single issue with the stock controller.

cptstnkpnts

As an insurance Adjuster I can say without a doubt coverage would not be affected. Period. Fire flood it would not matter if the pump failed and caused a loss there would be coverage regardless of the UL or CA approval of the product.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
I have the dual fs1400 set up from fish street. Only complaint is that the night ime sensor isn't sensitive enough to turn off night mode in my house from ambien day light:)

I didn't even know they had a wireless option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

curiousphil

Super Active Member
My WP40 may have just died after 16 months of use. I cleaned it about 4 times over that period... probably could have used more cleanings but it's hard to remove the wave box from the tank. I took the wave box out tonight and have the whole unit sitting in a bucket of strong vinegar solution to see if that can revive the pump. Right now it doesn't even show a hint of moving when I plug it in.

I'll report back tomorrow night.

If it is dead, I certainly feel like I got my 90 dollars worth, it's one hell of a powerhead for that price.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Sorry to hear that. Bit definitely worth the money for what you got out of it. I hope to get that much use too. Are you sure it is the pump and not the controller? Know anyone local that you can run over and try your controller on yheir pump or visa versa

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Sorry to hear that. Bit definitely worth the money for what you got out of it. I hope to get that much use too. Are you sure it is the pump and not the controller? Know anyone local that you can run over and try your controller on yheir pump or visa versa

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

I've also got a WP25 and I tried swapping controllers to no avail.

curiousphil

Super Active Member
It appears to be beyond recovery, I've ordered another one.

I got it super clean, took it apart and gave it a good scrubbing with a toothbrush. I can now get the impeller to spin when the front cover is off and I fiddle with the sitting position of the impeller. But whenever I change the angle of the pump from upright to horizontal, or put the cover back on, the impeller won't budge. It's possible that I could get it to work with more fiddling but I wouldn't be confident enough to put it back into the wavebox and then remount the wavebox inside the tank behind my rockwork - just to have the pump fail again a few days later. For the price of these pumps, I'm happy enough to just order a new one that will be good for another year and a bit - maybe longer. I toyed with the idea of getting either a WP-60 or FS14000 to put inside the wave box but I decided not to take the risk that they might not fit properly.

Most of my corals are unaffected by the decrease in flow (I still have a Mag-18 return on full blast, a WP-25 and a Koralia 1150), but two pieces are quite unhappy! My monti verrucosa has many tips that have gone white from tissue loss, and the ORA Pearlberry has a couple of tips that have done the same thing but to a lesser extent.

I ordered the new WP-40 from Kraken's Reef so hopefully it will be here in the next couple of days.