What Or Who Inspired You?

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Just wondering what inspired everyone to get into this hobby. Did you see an amazing tank at a friend or relatives house? At your dentist or doctors office? A fancy hotel like in Vegas?

For me it was this tank:
umeju3up.jpg

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Nemo and my daughter's. But that grew from a 20gal with a clown fish as soon as I met witg Rick for the first time. Since then, all tanks are inspiring, from 3 gallon pico's to tanks you can swim in

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
The first time I thought of having a saltwater tank I wanted seahorses. I was always fascinated with them and wanted the challenge of having something that was so totally different from any other fish out there. I got a bonus from work and immediately went out and bought a seahorse setup. While trying to get my seahorses to live I made a few beginner mistakes like putting the wrong tank mates with them and lost them all. When I finally found a reputable source for my seahorses I suddenly had a few saltwater fish and corals that I didn't want to part with. This spawned my reef tank and I haven't looked back from there...

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
I guess ever since i was a kid i wanted a saltwater tank, all the cool colors in the fish and corals. Then i got into african cichlids about 3-4years ago, which in turn lead me to getting a already running setup from a coworkers husband, it was in alright shape when i got it, but after a few rookie mistakes and rushing, i almost turned it into a blackhole lol. But here I am....still making mistakes haha lol ;). But on a serious note this hobby is very inspiring if your an actual dedicated reefer/saltwater keeper, all the things you learn and learn to appreciate about the ocean. The ocean is so diverse, and will never be fully understood, but this is all our little piece of that crazy crazy world lol.

Jewel

I had a African Chiclid tank, I was on vacation hanging out at the Terminal in Cleveland waiting for a connecting flight to Tampa and bought a Saltwater reefing book, I read that book cover to cover twice and when I got home I sold my 135 undrilled tank, took all the fish to Big Als and bought a 55, got it drilled at ORG, right on the floor infront of the door. That was it, I was hooked, 12 tanks and 50 grand later I'm thinking about selling and setting up another smaller SPS system.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
I've you've ever seen the tank on your tube called the volcano tank -- that one inspired me to get into salt water, I had freshwater for years but always thought salt to be this extremely difficult unattainable mystery.

This was enough to convince me to get my first tank and the rest is history :)

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Brandon, I have never seen that video. Thanks for sharing. It certainly is a very interesting showpiece and fascinating to watch. I can see how that inspired you. :)

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
For me it wasn't just one thing that inspired me.

I bought my first 55 gal used when I was 15. I originally was fascinated with brackish water puffers. I started the tank with regular aquarium salt for the brackish water. After stocking the system with puffers and other brackish fish, within 6 months I converted to true brackish with marine salt. I ran this system for about another 3 months before I realized that I was one step away from full blown marine system. I quickly converted the tank to a FOWLR with predator fish.

I had a FOWLR for a few years till I started working at Big Al's in Kitchener when I was 18. Within months of starting there I quickly converted to a reef tank.

20 years later. I've been in the reef hobby and have worked in the industry for 20 years as well. Working for companies such as Big Al's, PetCetera, PetSmart and now with Aquariums By Design. Which I have been with for the past 8 years.

I love this hobby. I find it very rewarding and enjoy it a lot. I still get inspired by other hobbyists tanks. My better half has realized that there will always be at least one reef tank in the house.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
I've you've ever seen the tank on your tube called the volcano tank -- that one inspired me to get into salt water, I had freshwater for years but always thought salt to be this extremely difficult unattainable mystery.

This was enough to convince me to get my first tank and the rest is history :)
Anybody know what kind of crab that is on the bottom of the tank?

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
That tank is designed for crabs. That's the purpose the volcano serves, they crawl in and out of water. If you look close you can see a couple out of water

Jewel

Through it all, what I really like is the mechanics of the system, The result is the Coral and the fish but the satisfaction comes with knowing that I'm doing it right, Setting up the system and having the patience to see it become a work of art. And when people say WOW that looks great. that's when it's time to do another system.