Starting over, questions abound!

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Oh it's inside! Consider this the "Before" picture.
3araqary.jpg

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Haha a never ending battle! Actually, not entirely sure what direction i'll be going. I'll be getting both my zebra eel and bird wrasse back :) , and will eventually be getting a couple dwarf lions, porcupine puffer, and sailfin tang. Sounds like a predator tank, right?! I know puffers generally aren't reef safe, but it's the wife's fav. Basically, gonna start with those fish, then see what type of coral I can get away with. Maybe sps down the road, but not anytime soon. Gonna get 4 or 5 sunblaster t5s for lighting to start.

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
That's a lot of light for a predator tank.

Ya. With the puffer, you're really going to be limited. Also the bio load of all the fish are going to make it more work to keep water where you want it for corals. Maybe some mushrooms and xenias

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
I'll be buying lights one at a time, as i really don't know how much light each one will produce on this tank. Like i said, playing this one as i go for livestock.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
I have arrived back at one of my early issues... lighting! I do know I will be using sunblaster t5s. They are cheap, compact, single bulb fixtures, making them very versatile. My problem is bulb selection. I've read 10000k makes fish look their best. But I know the corals I plan to keep (basically anything other than sps for now) will need more than that. Being each fixture is only about $40, I can use as many as need be. Is there any combination I can use that won't give of a strong blue hue, but will still support coral? Probably the ultimate lighting question, but not even sure where to start! Tell me what you know :)

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
corals dont NEED a diff spectrum than 10K
in fact, they grow better under 10K, and some grow out farms even use 6500K.
They just dont look as impressive under that spectrum.
but yes, fish look better, very bold and no washed out blue

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
corals dont NEED a diff spectrum than 10K
in fact, they grow better under 10K, and some grow out farms even use 6500K.
They just dont look as impressive under that spectrum.
but yes, fish look better, very bold and no washed out blue
All this time I was under the impression different corals needed different spectrums! So that makes things easier, and more difficult! Guess what I need is a good balance. So in addition to the 10000k, what could I use that would enhance the colour of corals, but not change the colour of fish too drastically?

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
you could get some 36" LED strips with just royal blue LEDS on them and do that with the 10k lights
that should accent the corals enough

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Most farms use the sun.

A bluer spectrum is where you actually get your colour on corals. They use the blue spectrum to colour themselves.

The aqua blue special bulb might be an idea. It is a very white blue bulb, it will overpower 3 blue bulbs in a 4 bulb fixture.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
you could get some 36" LED strips with just royal blue LEDS on them and do that with the 10k lights
that should accent the corals enough
Had considered that, but a little expensive for something that may not achieve what I'm looking for. I'll call that Plan B :)
Most farms use the sun.

A bluer spectrum is where you actually get your colour on corals. They use the blue spectrum to colour themselves.

The aqua blue special bulb might be an idea. It is a very white blue bulb, it will overpower 3 blue bulbs in a 4 bulb fixture.

Will give a couple of those a try to start. Sounds to be what I'm looking for.