Starting over, questions abound!

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Silicone outside after connected (making sure you only are only applying to outer pieces).

None of my drains are glued.

How many gph is your pump? I have put PVC together so tight before without glue lol.

Another option is to install unions so you can pull apart anytime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Thought about silicone. Wasn't sure if there was another way. My return is a mag 9, but used vinyl tubing for that, so not an issue. The connections are tight, but still got some dripping where it's not glued. Would like to let it run for a few days to be certain i haven't overlooked anything.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I used TruBlu for my whole set up including 80' of returns and drains under my house. Tgat stufd is awesome. No need to wait to dry and can be separated after.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
I should have mentioned I'm using slip fittings. I will have to consider both silicone tape and trublu for final connections. Probably a good idea to be able to disconnect if need be. I did try teflon tape for the hell of it, and it seems to work, though I wouldn't use it for anything long term.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I should have mentioned I'm using slip fittings. I will have to consider both silicone tape and trublu for final connections. Probably a good idea to be able to disconnect if need be. I did try teflon tape for the hell of it, and it seems to work, though I wouldn't use it for anything long term.

All I used was slip as well. This stuff is great.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Setting up tank tonight :). I only have one reactor for the time being. Going to run rowaphos and purigen. Can I mix the two and use in reactor without dividing, or would that decrease their effectiveness?

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
The only problem I see mixing the two is flow rates. Any phosphate removers you need to have fairly slow flow through it or it'll break down very quickly. Purigen should have decent flow through it.

If you're using RODI water and not transfering anything to the tank right away. I don't see the need for Rowaphos right off the bat.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Ok good to know! I'm not using rodi yet (unit is definitely on my list), but i've been told brantford water has exceptionally high phosphate levels. My old tank had the algae to back that up! What if i put purigen in filter bag near skimmer output?

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
That's probably a better idea then. Use the GFO in the reactor and put the purigen in a high flow area in the sump.

If you're using tap water. I'd definitely use the GFO and purigen before adding livestock. Have you tested PO4 in the tap water?

Keep in mind that if the tap water has high PO4, you're going to exhaust the GFO very quickly.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
I agree tap water is not the best way to go. It's all I've ever used and have had good results. Except for the algae, which started to disappear after i started using phosban. As i said, rodi is on the list, just don't have the funds right now.