They are finally Here!

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Thanks Sherry

I'm currently looking outside at the height of our grass and hoping the weather dries up soon so we can go out and cut it. But what I really want to do is set up the 60 gallon cube today so maybe it's a good thing that the grass is so wet right now!;)

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Oh yes, back to the reality from returning from vacation. It's cloudy and overcast here today, sprinkles on and off, and yes, my grass was cut on Wed and could use it again with the rain we had LOL It will be great if you can get the cube set up today !

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Moved some of the older fry into the 60 gallon cube today to make room in the 10 gallon tanks for the new fry. My male had 667 new fry yesterday. I have split the new group into two 10 gallon tanks this time instead of having them all together like I did for the first batch. Hopefully my losses will be a little less with a lower density.
Here are some pictures of the fry in the 60 gallon. They look so little in there at the moment!
Grow-out-tank_zps7c6d5543.jpg

Grow-out-tank1_zps683191b4.jpg

It seems they have decided they like the pink plant the best. :)

Cirri1_zps1566509f.jpg

Cirri_zps6eddb9e0.jpg

The Cirri have grown a lot on this one while I was away. I'm hoping some of the fry get to keep the cirri but often they don't.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
thats sooo cool...
im definitely doing some research to see if i can keep a few of these guys :)
your an inspiration to this hobby, keep up the good work!

sunnykita

Super Active Member
amazing Yvette, and over 600 this time around. Those numbers are amazing, but I would imagine in the wild losses would be huge. Pink is definitely the preference at the moment ! They look so tiny in the cube ! Good luck with the new hatches !

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Absolutely amazing. Wife keeps adding things to my Hunny Do list before I can do another tank though :/ Right now we are replacing the flooring in all the bedrooms. Seahorses will be in this house soon.

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Thank you so much for your replies. So far it has been an absolute joy to watch these little guys grow and thrive. Years ago when I first began dreaming of keeping seahorses I didn't think it was possible since everyone I spoke with and everything I read told me they were too difficult to care for. Now, with the advances and knowledge that Seahorse.org has developed seahorse keeping is fairly easy if their advice is followed. They have helped me achieve my dream of keeping seahorses and I highly recommend that anyone who also shares the dream of keeping these wonderful animals try to follow that dream. It's well worth it. The first time one of them hitches on your finger or eats out of your hand you're hooked if you weren't before.:)

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
This thread is definitely making me seriously consider keeping them. I've always wanted them. I might wait till you get through a few batches before I consider it. As I'm sure you have a lot of people asking for them, and I'm in no hurry.

Great updates yvet! Keep 'em coming!

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
The oldest fry are 14 weeks old today! They are doing well in the growout tank but still prefer the pink plant with the exception of a few intrepid ones that like to hitch on their own. There are 73 of them left of the original 472

July-24-2014-1_zps4be59df6.jpg

July-24-2014-12_zps905a39cf.jpg

As you can see the orange plant in the background is fairly empty. One of the fry on the left seems to be getting lighter.

July-24-2014-10_zpsf12526f9.jpg

This one likes it on his own.

Still can't tell the difference between male and female but hope to be able to in the next couple of weeks.

The younger fry are 11 weeks old and doing well. There are 57 left of them.

July-24-2014-7_zps5d63f2b1.jpg

This past week one of my males had 667 new fry and 6 days later one of the other males had 450. Ray has one batch and I have the other. Here are the new ones.

July-24-2014-6_zps7945a871.jpg

I put them into two of the ten gallon tanks to see if my losses would be less. After a week I have 157 in one tank and 168 in the other. I have also begun using a probiotic supplement to help condition the adults to see if I can notice a difference in the condition of the fry. Just started that today so it will take a while before I see any differences but it will be interesting to see.

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Hi Yvette, great update and pics ! love how they look ! I find it really interesting that they prefer the one colour of plant. Makes you wonder why doesn't it? best of luck with the new hatches !

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
A few days ago I decided that since they weren't hitching on the orange plant I would switch the orange plant for a pink one. Originally I put the orange one in to see if they would change to different colors on either plant but since they rarely hitched on it that didn't go over well. What a difference now that the pink one is in!

July-26-2014-4_zps80fa8cbd.jpg

They have spread out nicely and are now on both pink plants instead of crowding onto the one little one on the left. See those large poops on the bottom? This was taken just before I cleaned the tank for the morning and there are always lots of poops. I don't think any other fish has such large, formed poops as seahorses. Bare bottom tanks definitely makes it easier to keep clean when there are this many babies!

While studying them the other day we noticed that one of the babies has a crooked snout! It doesn't interfere with the snick at all and this baby is growing well just like the others. From the one angle you can't see it but you can definitely see it from the other. I'll post both pictures that I took while trying to get a good view.

July-26-2014-2_zps1352c636.jpg

It is the baby on the left. I just love this picture! You see this so often when they are swimming around and it always reminds me of two little school girls heading off to school in the morning.

July-26-2014-1_zps76d69738.jpg

In this one it is much easier to see and I've circled it.

We're not sure how this little one got to be this way, whether it was an accident and it got damaged or whether it was born this way because we really couldn't see it until the baby got to be this big. My husband actually pointed it out to me or I still may not have noticed yet. I have watched it eating and it does very well. The head from the eyes to the snout appears curved but the eye on the curved in side still rotates.

As you may see some of them have gotten lighter since I put the second pink plant into the aquarium. I'm curious to see if they stay lighter. I think I'll go and see if I can find a really tall pink plant so they can use more of the water column.

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Just as an update for availability:
The oldest ones should be ready by August 17th I hope if they grow to 3" by then and I can sex them. They must by law be a minimum of 3" long before I can sell them. So far I still can't see any pouches developing but hope to in the next couple of weeks. They are currently around 2.5" long and growing well.

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Hi Yvette
Great update, they are looking fabulous, they obviously have a preference when it comes to colour don't they? Great photos, love the pair hitched together. Interesting that the one has a curved snout, but great that it is eating and growing well.

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Thought I'd post a small video to show the feeding frenzy at my house lately. This was taken last week of the oldest fry and you can see they make short work of the frozen Mysis...

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
The oldest babies are now growing quite quickly and a few are showing signs of pouches. This weekend I will be trying to separate them with a divider in the tank so that I can get an accurate count of male and female. Here are a few pictures of the babies now.

August-4-2014-3-weeks_zpsd94364de.jpg

This is one of the 3 week old fry. It has a very full belly as you can see by the red coloration. At the moment there are about 180 left of these fry.

August-4-2014-12-weeks_zpsb931e18f.jpg

A 12 week old fry. There are still 57 of these ones left. There have been no losses of these ones since I returned from holiday. They are now eating whole Hikari Mysis instead of shaved which is so much easier at feeding time!

August-4-2014-15-weeks-ol_zps21496d9c.jpg

The 15 week old fry. The lower one in front is a male and the one above is a female. You can just barely see the diagonal shape of the pouch forming as opposed to the female who has more of a P shape. The males are also bigger at the moment.

August-4-2014-Cirri-longe_zpsdb2b44ed.jpg

The cirri on this little one are becoming more pronounced. They are also developing little branches.
Currently, there are still 73 of the oldest fry living. Also, no losses since I returned from holiday.

I must say, this has been a tremendous pleasure being able to raise these guys this far and know that, barring any catastrophe, I will be able to raise them to saleable size and age. When I first started keeping seahorses, I hoped, but didn't dare to dream that I would be able to raise some fry someday. Now I have realized that dream and it has been a wonderful experience.
smiley-love0671_zps2059580f.gif

Last edited:

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Simply amazing Yvette. You've proven it can be done. You planned and prepared and here they are ! We get to share in the excitement without all the hard work. Love the little one with all the cirri ! great photos once again. Thanks for sharing !